Since I had such great results from Hershey’s ‘Perfectly Chocolate’ Chocolate Cake for B’s Heatwave cake, I was inspired to make their Best Brownies too. As a beginner in baking during my 2nd year of secondary school in Manila, Hershey’s cookbook was one of my favorite aside from Mrs Field’s Cookie cookbook. I baked cookies mostly and theirs were very easy. They’re very sweet though so after trying out a few recipes, I’ve decided to cut down the sugar a bit for all things I bake.
One of my friends from school was our neighbor and we usually meet and hang out in the afternoon so there’s always someone to share my treats with. Ours is also an extended family, it’s like a compound with three houses connected, so my cousins, siblings and I would usually snack on my treats during study time.
I don’t remember making their brownies then and I was delighted to see that I have it on my file. The taste is okay but honestly, I don’t think it will be my go to recipe for brownies. I like mine a bit fudgy and with crisp top but this is more on the cake side. It is still good and we enjoyed eating it for dessert last night….I will have to buy vanilla ice cream soon because I am sure that it’s perfect as a brownie à la mode:) To be honest, the taste is like those I’ve tried in cafe’s before but like what I’ve mentioned, this is not the best one for me.
Hershey’s Best Brownie
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa or HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- CREAMY BROWNIE FROSTING (optional, recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition. Add cocoa; beat until well blended. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat well. Stir in nuts, if desired. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Prepare and frost brownie with CREAMY BROWNIE FROSTING, if desired. Cut into bars. Makes about 24 brownies.