Another recent favorite of our family is this beef bowl, which is my version of my kid’s favorite beef bowl in Yoshinoya. We haven’t eaten at Yoshinoya since Compasspoint closed down for a major renovation this year and I’m happy that we can satisfy our craving for beef bowl at home.
I’ve tried three recipes before settling on this one…hope you like them as much as we do…it’s so easy that even my 9 yo kid was able to cook them with minimal supervision. He was very proud and has been very helpful in the kitchen since then.
Beef Gyudon (Serves: 4)
- 2 cups dashi stock (I use beef cubes most of the time, dissolved in 2 cups hot water)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 400g marbled beef (I use shabu shabu or sukiyaki beef)
- Put stock, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for around 5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add beef and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Serve over rice.